Census Cartographic Boundary Files, 2018 vintage
census.gov-boundaries-2018-1.2.8 Last Update: 2020-06-25T18:05:51
The cartographic boundary files are simplified representations of selected geographic areas from the Census Bureau’s MAF/TIGER geographic database. These boundary files are specifically designed for small scale thematic mapping.
This data package collects a selection of the US Census cartographic shape
files, which are designed to be used in creating maps. For each type of region,
they come in a varity of resolutions, so they are more suitable for creating
web maps than the much larger TIGER files.
These files have been processed to all have the same schema and use ACS style
Geoids. The original files have AFF style geoids, which have extra '00'
characters in them.
The use of a single schema means that in some files, some columns are
consistently empty. For instance, ZCTA ( which are similar to ZIP code regions)
may not be entirely within a single state or county, so they don't have a
well-defined state and county. In these cases, the
county_fips columns will be empty.
- Homepage Page with links to all of the files
- state_500k_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_state_500k.zip. State boundaries, scale 500K:1
- state_5m_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_state_5m.zip. State boundaries, scale 5M:1
- state_20m_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_state_20m.zip. State boundaries, scale 20M:1
- county_500k_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_county_500k.zip. County boundaries, scale 500K:1
- county_5m_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_county_5m.zip. County boundaries, scale 5M:1
- county_20m_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_county_20m.zip. County boundaries, scale 20M:1
- nation_5m_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_nation_5m.zip. National boundary, 5M:1
- nation_20m_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_nation_20m.zip. National boundary 20M:1
- zcta_500k_source, shape+https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/GENZ2018/shp/cb_2018_us_zcta510_500k.zip. ZCTA (Zip Codes), scale 500K:1